If you’re passionate about developing sites, applications, and tools for the web to help more people bike and walk more often, this position is for you. As a Junior Web Developer, you will be responsible for supporting our lead Web Developer in building and maintaining websites and web applications for a variety of public projects and audiences.
You will be part of our Portland office’s in-house Graphic Design department, which works closely with a multi-disciplinary team of planners, landscape architects, and GIS specialists in a collaborative and dynamic, fast-paced work environment. You’ll expand your skills as part of a highly committed, experienced, and supportive team.
Summary + Overview
This full-time (32/hours a week) non-exempt position is responsible for supporting web development projects by collaborating with the lead web developer to build, maintain, and support websites and other interactive web applications.
The essential priorities of this position are:
Collaborating with and supporting lead web developer to build responsive, accessible, highly optimized websites and applications from project specifications, design guidelines, sitemaps, wireframes, and mockups
Administration, organization, support, and documentation of web development properties and processes
- Supporting lead web developer in building websites and applications that support the efforts of in-house GIS and planning teams and integrate GIS data
- Supporting lead web developer in developing and maintaining websites for clients as part of planning, branding, and outreach projects
- Developing and maintaining web properties that support the marketing team
- Understanding and appropriately documenting technical requirements to ensure the resulting website functions as required
- Basic administration and support of company managed project domain names, hosting environments, and web services
This position requires a combination of skills and experience including, but not limited to:
- 1-3 years of professional web development experience
- Proficiency with essential front-end languages: HTML, CSS (and familiar with SASS), JS
- Understanding of modern web development principles (e.g., layout grids, responsive design, PWAs) and experience with front-end and/or full-stack frameworks
- Comfortable with local web development workflow & tooling (e.g., MAMP, Vagrant, Docker, push-to-deploy)
- Experience with consuming and integrating RESTful APIs and services
- Experience with basic version control and team development using Git
- Proficiency with custom templating / development with a major CMS platform (WordPress preferred), with the ability to manage essential site and hosting deployment
- Proficiency in one or more server-side languages (PHP or Python preferred) with the desire to learn others as needed
- Experience deployment to common hosting environments and providers (e.g., LAMP, shared hosting, VPS, AWS)
- Ability to learn from and handle critiques; flexible and responsive to feedback
- Ability to work independently and efficiently to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent time management skills, strong organizational skills, and superior attention to detail
Preferred Skills + Certifications
Additional skills and experience that would be beneficial to this position (but not required) including, but not limited to:
- Experience with a full-stack framework (e.g., Django, Laravel, Node) a strong plus
- Experience with front-end build tools and workflow (Webpack, Parcel, Gulp, Grunt, etc.)
- Experience with GIS tools, data structures, formatting, and web integration
- Experience in an agency environment
- Enthusiasm about Alta’s mission to create active communities
To apply, please upload your resume and a cover letter, telling us why you’re interested in Alta and why you’d be a good fit. Due to the high volume of applicants we will not be able to respond to email or phone inquiries.
Alta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training and company-sponsored programs. Alta Planning + Design maintains formal employment policies, available on online and by request.
Affirmative Action Plan
Alta Planning + Design, Inc. is a federal contractor subject to affirmative action regulations requiring written Affirmative Action Plans (AAP’s) for minorities and women, and for covered veterans and individuals with disabilities. We worked intensively with a local firm who specializes in Affirmative Action Plans to develop a program for our company that will not only satisfy our federal obligations, but will be a living document. This means the plan is integrated into our recruiting and evaluation procedures, and is revisited often in order to ensure we’re doing everything we can to embrace and promote diversity within our company.