User Experience Designers at Alley work shoulder-to-shoulder with product strategists, content experts, and developers to bring the websites of news organizations, large-scale nonprofit institutions, and foundations to life. If you want your work to be seen and used by hundreds of thousands of people every day, Alley is the place for you.
You must exhibit a portfolio that demonstrates outstanding visual design talent and the ability to flex your style to the specific communication and positioning goals of each client. You must be energized by the prospect of working for large, complex organizations and think about your designs as systems rather than a set of bespoke pages.
We are looking for a senior designer who can execute their work independently, but with the support and critique of other team members. You should have experience in and enjoy client services, preferably in an agency setting.
Alley is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in the tech industry. We encourage applications from women, Black people, indigenous people, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, disabled people, and other communities traditionally underrepresented in this field. Read our DEI pledge to learn more about how Alley values diversity, equity and inclusion.
For information on our hiring process and what it’s like to work at Alley, please check out our FAQ. If you have any questions about our hiring process, please contact us at email@example.com.
* Digest client provided background materials, analytics, or audience research data; draw conclusions and make recommendations from them.
* Design and facilitate portions of kickoff workshops and creative ideation sessions.
* Draft or consult on information architecture.
* Craft wireframes, mood boards, and style tiles that meet clients’ goals and make for a positive user experience.
* Apply styles to key design templates that establish a system of components.
* Visually communicate or prototype complex interactions.
* Present work articulately to technical & non-technical peers and clients, be that verbally or through written annotation.
* Participate in regular design critique sessions and development QA.
* Stay immersed in UX trends, especially as they relate to websites in the publishing and the non-profit sectors.
* Participate in scrum rituals including sprint planning and backlog refinement.
* Present your knowledge at department roundtables as well as in sessions with the larger company.
* Your happy space is translating the goals and unique missions of clients into beautiful and functional designs. You enjoy being a design chameleon as you venture outside of your own personal style to capture what each client strives to communicate visually.
* You are well versed in design thinking and have experience guiding cycles of discovery, concepting, design, testing, and iteration.
* You approach web design not as a series of bespoke templates but as a system of components and repeatable patterns.
* You value the opportunity to work collaboratively with strategists and developers and are at ease receiving and responding to feedback from your teammates as well as members of the larger UX Design department during our regular critique sessions.
* Knowing agency life is busy and filled with project and client variety, you thrive in an environment where no two days are alike and where you are producing work for more than one client at any given time.
* You enjoy working with external clients and feel comfortable presenting your work and receiving client feedback.
* Proficiency working with Figma, InVision, and productivity tools including Google Apps and Slack.
* Since Alley is a remote agency, you must be productive while working from home or a co-working space.
* You have at least 5 years of experience working within an agency or as a freelancer.
* You have experience working with news media, foundations, or other think tanks.
* You should be interested in gaining a deeper understanding of Alley’s business model, client base, and departmental goals.
* Beyond making clients happy with your design work, you should be interested in working with team members to continuously iterate on team workflows.
Bonus Points if
* You have worked on large-scale news media, foundation, or think tank websites.
* You know HTML, JS, and CSS.
* You have identity design in your portfolio.
* You have worked with data centric websites or have a strong interest in doing so.
* You have design samples for events or virtual online experiences.
* Competitive salaries: We recognize several levels of career progression for designers and tie compensation to those levels corresponding to their seniority and experience. We are currently searching for a senior designer with a base salary starting at $90k. If you consider yourself to be at a higher level, we still encourage you to apply and can discuss additional opportunities with you!
* Medical, dental and vision benefits
* 401k with company matching
* Profit sharing
* Monthly lunch allowance
* Flexible schedules: We do not limit vacation or sick time. We trust our team members to get their work done and take the time off they need to recharge.
* Remote first: We are a fully distributed company, meaning we don’t have a set work location. Team members can choose to work from home or from a co-working space. We’ll furnish your home office or rent you a co-working space.
Recruiters: Please do NOT contact us about this job. All hiring duties at Alley are carried out by our staff.