About the Internet Society:
The Internet Society is the world’s trusted independent source of leadership for Internet policy, technology standards, and future development. Based on its principled vision and substantial technological foundation, the Internet Society works with its members and chapters around the world to promote the continued evolution and growth of the open Internet through dialog among companies, governments, and other organizations around the world.
About the Position:
The Senior Web Developer (SWD) will be responsible for designing and developing business solutions for the society based in Web Content Management Systems and delivered over the Internet to appropriate constituencies and users. The SWD will work with internal SME’s, project owners and project managers to design, develop, test, implement, document and maintain web systems for the society. In addition, the SWD will work with appropriate IT staff members to develop and implement best practice software development, deployment and maintenance processes.
The Senior Web Developer will report to the Director, Global Information Technology and work with other members of both the IT and Strategic Communications teams to develop and enhance the society’s systems and tools. Particular emphasis will be on developing and integrating new collaboration tools in support of community-building activities, and metrics-analysis platforms to measure organizational impact. These tools will be built by integrating WordPress with other open source products, the Internet Society’s Azure-based membership system, and third-party software of various categories. Reporting output from these platforms will also be a key responsibility.
Location: Reston, Virginia (Open to East Coast Regions)
- Development of new web-based software solutions based on Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL, with particular focus on development, customization and integration of WordPress-based functionality and modules.
- Evaluation, customization and integration of other open source software products and WordPress modules as needed (some transition from Drupal may be required)
- Development of complex database queries and stored procedures for MySQL.
- Development and presentation of reports using WordPress-based reporting tools and techniques
- Development of appropriate user interfaces and controls providing ease of use to end-users while maintaining appropriate development standards and best practices.
- Integration of open source applications using RESTful APIs primarily.
- Project management in all stages of the solution lifecycle: requirements gathering, analysis, design, development, testing, implementation, maintenance, documentation, training and support.
- Maintenance and development of the WordPress environment including server upkeep, module / code repository / updates, and documentation.
- Close cooperation with IT & Strategic Communications team members, and other global Internet Society staff
- Detailed and timely interaction and communication with project constituents, IT staff and project management.
- Supervise vendor relationships (where applicable) to ensure compliance to scope of work and service level.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of proven architecting/development experience with medium to large WordPress websites.
- Two or more years creating WordPress themes
- Minimum 2 years working with fully multi-lingual websites; WordPress preferred
- 2+ years integrating web-based technologies with RESTful APIs and/or web services.
- Experience working with Intranets (particularly WordPress-based) a strong plus
- Experience working with and customizing open source software.
- Familiarity with both the Linux and Windows technical environments (AD, GPO, WMI).
- Solid understanding of software development methodology, data modeling, database design.
- Report design/presentation experience a strong plus
- Demonstrated experience with Drupal is also a strong plus
- Demonstrated experience with Enterprise cloud-hosting providers
- Ability to develop creative, simple solutions in support of complex business concepts.
- Broad understanding of Internet-based communication, collaboration and social media tools.
- Familiarity with web-based application concepts (security, authentication, authorization, performance optimization, etc.)
- Must be a detail-oriented self-starter who is able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally on occasion.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English a must. Additional languages are a plus.
Compensation and benefit package for this position will be competitively commensurate with the successful applicant’s qualifications. Information about the Internet Society and its activities may be found at http://www.InternetSociety.org.
Applications will be evaluated until the position has been filled. The list of applicants will not be posted publicly and will be reviewed in confidence by members of the evaluation committee