Brooks Digital is a web agency that helps health-related nonprofits build websites that improve the lives of people with health conditions. We focus on both website redesigns as well as ongoing improvements. We are looking for a contract Senior WordPress Developer to provide both back-end and front-end development, including creating both themes and plugins.
A successful Senior WordPress Developer will be able to guide a site build from concept to completion, working with both the BD team and the client with a blend of project management, technical and aesthetic skills. They will also, ideally, have experience working in the nonprofit space—preferably in a contract or agency environment.
We are looking for a direct contract with the individual performing the work. No agencies, recruiters, or staffing firms, please.
We have a small team, so everyone (including you) is a key player in moving each of our projects forward. As a Senior WordPress Developer, this involves:
- Consistently and reliably communicating your future availability so we can plan our workload.
- Gathering, clarifying, and documenting requirements for your assigned issues when you come across missing or unclear information.
- Estimating the effort to complete issues in the project backlog.
- Guiding and advising on the technical architecture of the website, including themes and plugins.
- Implementing responsive designs as a polished, high-performing CMS solution.
- Coding, testing, and deploying your assigned issues within agreed-upon timelines.
- Clearly and cheerfully communicating directly with clients in meetings, emails and comments in our project management system.
- Being a trustworthy person who is honest, has integrity, and follows through on their commitments.
- Taking initiative to organize and move projects forward when you see the opportunity.
- Being available and responsive to communication during regular working hours.
- Doing good, honest work in which you take pride.
We’re looking for:
- A full-time freelancer/contractor, ideally based in North America, or available during U.S. working hours.
- A native or exceptionally fluent English speaker with stellar verbal and written communication skills.
- 5+ years of development experience, ideally in an agency/client service environment.
- Expert-level experience developing responsive WordPress sites.
- Familiarity with front-end development frameworks such as Bootstrap.
- Strong experience with on-page SEO fundamentals.
- Comfort with the command line and basic scripting of devops/CI workflows.
- Familiarity with Git best practices, including Gitflow and branching models.
- An understanding of the lifecycle of software development and lean / agile development practices.
- Someone who is self-directed and able to accomplish their best work when given the space and guidance to do so.
- Open and honest communication about things that need to be improved, even if it’s a tough conversation.
- Strong planning, organization, and problem-solving skills, and a high attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relat—who are we kidding, does it really matter these days?
What we bring to the table:
Brooks Digital strongly favors core values of work/life balance and flexibility. We foster a contractor-friendly and personal-life-friendly environment by:
- Setting the expectation with clients and team members that we do not typically work, communicate, or maintain availability on nights, weekends, holidays, or vacations.
- Offering predictable, ongoing work for reliable contractors.
- Providing quick and flexible payment options.
- Giving you the opportunity to work with clients who are making a positive, lasting difference in the world.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, examples of work, location, hourly rate, and one way you’d like to see the world change in your lifetime.